(WASHINGTON) — U.S. forces conducted a raid against ISIS militants in northwest Syria on Monday, according to U.S. Central Command.
“The raid resulted in the probable death of a senior ISIS Syria leader and operational planner responsible for planning terror attacks in the Middle East and Europe,” CENTCOM spokesman Joe Buccino told ABC News in a statement.
Two “armed individuals” were also killed, according to a statement from CENTCOM.
“Extensive planning went into this operation to ensure its successful execution. No U.S. troops were wounded. No U.S. helicopters were damaged. We assess no civilians were killed or injured,” the statement said.
Earlier this month, U.S. forces killed an “ISIS senior leader” in a strike in northwest Syria, CENTCOM had announced.
The military identified the leader as Khalid ‘Aydd Ahmad Al-Jabouri, who it said was responsible for planning attacks in Europe and Turkey, and developing ISIS’s leadership network.
“The death of Khalid ‘Aydd Ahmad al-Jabouri will temporarily disrupt the organization’s ability to plot external attacks,” a release from CENTCOM said at the time.
The U.S. has roughly 900 troops in Syria as part of its effort to defeat ISIS in the region. In recent years, American forces have killed or captured several ISIS leaders in the country.
“Though degraded, ISIS remains able to conduct operations within the region with a desire to strike beyond the Middle East. We will continue the relentless campaign against ISIS,” CENTCOM Commander Gen. Erik Kurilla said in a statement Monday.
Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.